Advice on Moorings in London


We are often asked about moorings. We try to help with general information but we are not the waterway equivalent of an estate agent so we cannot help you to find a place to live on a boat. There is a severe shortage of residential moorings in central London.

Visiting the museum by boat

Please go to our Come By Boat page - you are welcome to visit the museum by boat but please read the page carefully as moorings are not available for visitors all the time.

Overnight mooring

We offer limited overnight mooring facilities at the museum. Mooring is generally for one night only and is only available at times when the museum is closed to visitors, unless the people on board the boat are visiting the museum. You may not always be able to moor during opening hours as the mooring may be needed for trip boat operation including public trips and school parties.

All bookings are made online. Go to Short Term Mooring page

During the Christmas period we will consider mooring requests in advance whilst the museum is closed for a few days.

Permanent Moorings

Mooring Vacancies

Sorry, none at present. Please note not to get in touch if you are looking for a residential mooring or a permanent mooring!

Many people ask questions about how to find a residential or non-residential mooring on London's Regent's Canal or in one of the basins alongside it. The rest of this page offers details of the museum's own moorings, some general information and useful links. If you come accross any extra information which would be useful to others, please contact us using the feedback form

We are frequently asked about the practicalities of living on a boat in London. It is easy to buy a boat, if you have the funds, but very very hard to find a residential mooring and waiting lists can be very long. This is especually true in central London. Living on a boat is not as cheap as some people hope that it might be. In addition to the usual household bills for fuel, taxes, insurance require maintenance. There is a shortage of residential moorings in London. If you buy a boat that is already moored, it is important to check whether the mooring owner is willing to transfer the mooring to the new owner of the boat - this may not be the case and whilst the seller may be entitled to sell his or her boat, he/she may not have any right to decide who will take over the mooring. Make sure you have been in touch directly with the owner of the mooring before you part with money for a boat that comes together with an associated mooring.

The Canal and River Trust's mooring website hosts their mooring vacancy and tendering system so you can look there for details of vacancies and how to bid for them

What is the difference between Residential and non-Residential?

Residential moorings are those with planning permission for residential use - in other words the owners of the boats can live on them. Other moorings are non-residential and the owners cannot live aboard, though they can spend the occasional night on the boat. Just how many nights can be spent on a boat before the use can be described as residential is a point of debate. Generally speaking one or two nights per week or the occasional longer stay would not be considered residential use - more frequent nights spent aboard would be more questionable. Some people live on boats as "continuous cruisers". They don't have a home mooring and are required to regularly move from place to place.

East to West along the Regent's

Sites along the London canals are owned and managed by the canal charity, The Canal & River Trust. Their head office is at National Waterways Museum,South Pier Road, Ellesmere Port,CH65 4FW. Email: They are by far the largest owner of moorings. It is best to read the Waterside Moorings site (link above) before you contact them.

Limehouse Basin

The Regent's Canal starts from Limehouse Basin. British Waterways Marinas Limited manages the moorings in the basin.

Kingsland Basin.

Managed by the Canal in Hackney Users' Group. Whitmore Road, London W1 5QG

Eagle Wharf

Managed by Holborn Studios. The Grand Union Film Processing Company. 49 Eagle Wharf Road, London N1 7ED Tel: (020) 7490 4099 Fax: (020) 7253 8120

Wenlock Basin

Private residential moorings. Email

Battlebridge Basin

St. Pancras

St Pancras Cruising Club offers strictly non-residential moorings only. The longest narrowboats cannot be accommodated. Mooring is only available to active club members. Temporary moorings are available for members of AWCC member cruising clubs.