Floating and SinkingKey Stage 1
IntroductionThis lesson introduces the concept of floating and sinking to young children through looking at the type of litter that might be found in or around the canal, using the character of Duck, who also tells the children about the dangers of litter to wildlife.
- Using their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Describe the simple physical properties of a variety of everyday materials.
- Compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of their simple physical properties.
- To understand the meaning of the words "float" and "sink".
- To explore the buoyancy of a variety of common materials.
- To explore the influence of shape and other factors on the buoyancy on a body of an object.