Henrietta’s Museum Trail – The Canal DetectivesKey Stage 2
IntroductionHenrietta is the museum's full sized model horse. We named this trail after her. The trail is identified by a horse cartoon logo. The Canal Detectives Trail provides a useful introduction to the different areas of the Museum, and the topics they cover. With links into the History and Science requirements of the National Curriculum, it is most suitable for Key Stage Two and early Key Stage Three students.
Pupils should continue to develop a chronologically secure knowledge and understanding of British, local and world history Pupils should be taught about:
- A local history study.
- A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066.
- Observe that some materials change state when they are heated or cooled, and measure or research the temperature at which this happens in degrees Celsius (°C)
- To explore the internal structure of the canal boat Coronis.
- To learn about the clothing worn by 19th century canal people.
- To learn about how and why the gauging rod was used.
- To learn about Carlo Gatti, and his ice importing business based at Battlebridge Basin in the 19th century.
- To learn how horses were used to pull narrow boats, and how they were cared for.