Cool Food – The Ice TradeKey Stage 2
IntroductionThis lesson will look at the ice trade and the impact this had on the lives of ordinary people in Victorian London. The students will learn what the ice trade was, explain how different this was from what came before, and why this was an important change for ordinary people. They will learn the key words ‘preserve’ and ‘trade’.
Pupils should continue to develop a chronologically secure knowledge and understanding of British, local and world history Pupils should be taught about:
- A local history study.
- A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066.
- Speaking and listening skills.
- To know what ice was used for.
- To know what the ice trade was and how this was different to ways people collected ice before.
- To know how the ice trade changed people’s lives in Victorian times.