We provide four types of licensing:
- Books & Magazines,
- Museums & Heritage
- Personal and Educational Use.
For each of these categories, please see the permitted uses below. The Prohibited Uses at the end apply to ALL categories and every image purchased from us.
Books & Magazines
- Any type of printed advertising or promotional material including catalogues, product packaging, presentations, brochures, promotional greeting cards and promotional postcards (ie. not for resale or license) up to 2,000 prints
- Publication in a book or magazine whether for sale or for free distribution
- Social media post or profile image for a business or organisation other than a UK Registered Charity
- Online or electronic publications, including web pages, blogs, ebooks and not-for-profit videos.
- Any type of printed advertising or promotional material including catalogues, product packaging, presentations, brochures, promotional greeting cards and promotional postcards (including for resale) up to an unlimited number of prints
- Inclusion in any broadcast television programme, including Internet-based channels. Inclusion in any film made for profit, including videos that are distributed online.
- Commercial exhibitions and posters including exhibitions related to property sales
- Prints, posters and other reproductions for promotional purposes, for sale, or other for-profit distribution up to an unlimited number of prints
- In themes, skins, games, and other electronic software meant for resale.
- Inclusion in any filmed or video advertising for television, cinema, or Internet
- Making prints, posters, etc for display in a public house, cafe, restaurant or other venue to which the public have access as customers.
Museums & Heritage
Museums and Heritage covers UK Accredited Museums, and not-for-profit organisations preserving or exhibiting historic buildings, boats, ships, vehicles, or artefacts for the benefit of the public. They may use images purchased under this licence category for:
- Prints, posters (i.e. a hardcopy) and other reproductions on paper or merchandise whether for sale or for promotional purposes.
- In themes, skins and other electronic software meant for resale.
- Social media post or profile image for a UK Registered Charity or a UK waterways organisation or an Accredited Museum in the UK
- Exhibition use including in permanent, temporary, and touring exhibitions
- Inclusion in web pages, online videos, blogs, or online advertising.
- Inclusion in documentary films or videos
Personal and Educational Use
- Invitations, presentations, personal not-for-profit film and video presentations, greeting cards
- Personal research including family history and historical research for personal interest or as a contribution to research by a group (e.g. a local history society)
- Prints or posters for display in a private dwelling
- School or university educational or research projects including dissertations and theses whether published or not
- Use for teaching in a school or university or college of education
- Decorative background on a personal computer or mobile device
- Inclusion on a personal social media profile or page
- Install and use our media in more than one location or post a copy of our media on a network server or web server for use by other users
- Sub-licence, re-sell, rent, lend, assign, gift or otherwise transfer or distribute our media or the rights granted under these terms
- Use any of our media as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo
- Remove any notice of copyright, trade-mark or other proprietary right from any place where it is on or embedded in our media
- Use our media in a fashion that is considered by us or under applicable law to be pornographic, obscene, immoral, infringing, defamatory or libellous in nature, or that would be reasonably likely to bring any person or property reflected in the media into disrepute;
- Use our media in a way that brings the London Canal Museum into disrepute;
- Use our media in a manner that competes with our business including, but not limited to, displaying our media in any format (including thumbnails) for download or export on a website or offering our media for sale
- Use our media for editorial purposes without including the following credit adjacent to the media or in audio/visual production credits: ‘ Picture: London Canal Museum’
- Incorporate our media in any product that results in a re-distribution or re-use of the media or is otherwise made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the media as an electronic file
- Use our media in an electronic format that enables it to be downloaded, exported or distributed via mobile devices or shared in any peer-to-peer or similar file sharing arrangement; or
- Use or display our media in such a manner that gives the impression that the media were created by you or a person other than the copyright holder of the media.
Please note that by purchasing a licence to use the media on this site from us, you acknowledge that no transfer of copyright exists, and you are purchasing a license to use the media as per the terms set out in this agreement.
For any uses not listed here, or for questions regarding our licensing please email us.